It’s the most wonderful time of the year, when family members of all ages gather together to share holiday warmth and joy! At least, that’s everyone’s intention. However, if you find instead an ever-widening gap between generations, with the kids huddled together around technological devices, and Grandma sitting alone, take heart! There are a number of ways to bridge the distance between generations, but one of our favorites is to work together to create a memory book of a cherished senior’s lifetime legacy that will not only be fun to create but will also provide a wonderful keepsake.
First, decide whether you’d like to record the memories in writing, as a tape recording or as a videotape (or some combination of each). Then gather the questions you’d like to ask. These can be compiled by all family members, from the youngest to oldest. Here are a few examples to get you started:
- What is your favorite childhood memory?
- What was your first job?
- What is your funniest memory?
- When and where did you meet your spouse?
- What are some important values and traits you possess that you would like to see continued in your family?
- What is one thing that you would have liked to have done, that you did not have a chance to do?
Involve the kids by having them interview Grandma or Grandpa or ask questions about old photographs.
For more tips on involving seniors in holiday activities, contact the aging care experts at Professional Caretakers, who thrive on bringing joy and meaning to seniors throughout Texas. Call us at 877-921-9500 any time to learn more!